Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Axumezana

Positioning Post-War Tigray in the Horn of Africa!

Post by Axumezana » 14 Aug 2021, 17:59

(1) Background
The Persian religious leader Mani (who died in 274 AD) regarded the Axumite Empire as
one of the four great powers of his time, alongside Persia (Iran), Rome and China. King
Ezana’s stone inscription from around 300 AD, still standing in Axum also confirms Mani’s
claim about the Axumite Empire. In the inscription, Ezana stated that “he was the king of
Axumites, and Himyarite’s (Yemen & part of Saudi Arabia), and of Raeidan and Ethiopians,
and Sabaites (South Arabia) and of Silee, and of Tiamo and Bogaities (Beja) and Kasu (Kush)”.
Though there are various assumptions and contrasting historical evidence regarding to the
origins of the Axumite civilization, one can reasonably assume that it was highland
indigenous black African civilization crossbreed with Middle East civilizations of its times.
The Empire of Axum at its height extended across most of the present-day Ethiopia, Eritrea,
Somalia, Djibouti, Sudan, Yemen, Egypt and Saudi Arabia. The Axumite Empire was
destroyed by the internal revolt led by Yodit in the 10th century, following to its long decline
starting the 7th century due to the expansion of the Persian Empire to its territories and
control of trade routes and the rise of Islam.
Edward Gibbon in his 18th-century book titled “The decline and fall of the Roman Empire”
stated, “encompassed on all sides by their enemies, the Ethiopians slept near a thousand
years, forgetful of the world, by whom they were forgotten”. Though the medieval to 20th
century Ethiopian kingdoms such as Lasta, Showa, Gondar and Tigray were direct
descendants of the Axumite Empire, none of them was able to awaken the Empire from its
deep sleep and reposition it to its former glory.
When the late Prime Minister Meles Zenawi came with the motto of “ትልቅ ነበርን ትልቅ እንሆናለን”
the “ትልቅ ነበርን” undoubtedly refers to the Axumite Empire. I is my strong belief that, PM
Meles’s grand vision and strong conviction of Renaissance of Ethiopia and Africa was
inspired and shaped by the former glory and success of the Axumite Empire as well us what
he experienced during the armed struggle on the capability of the Tigrayans to fight and win
their enemies against all odds whether man made or natural disasters. I think PM Meles had
discovered during the armed struggle that the Axumite Empire’s indomitability and spirit of
wisdom, bravery, justice, determination, technological, social, economic and political
advancement are still alive in each Tigrayan DNA, whether educated or uneducated or poor
or rich. PM Meles on one of his famous speeches stated about the Tigrayan people “እንኻእ
ታባኻትኩም ተፈጠርና፥እንኻእ አማእዲና እናረኤና ንቐንኧልኩም አይኮና”. The bravery inherited from the
Axumites was at work when PM Meles, launched the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam
(GERD), in Guba Benishangul Gumz, on April 02, 2011, even though he may had known very
well that it may cost him his life.
The recent resurrection of TPLF/TDF after it was declared dead and buried by the Ethiopian
government and Isaias army could only be explained by the intervention of the just God and
the indomitable culture inherited by the Tigrayans from the Axumites.
The following are few of the unique contributions of the Axumites and their direct
descendants the Tigrayans (that includes the Tigrayans in Eritrea) which are named as
TigrayTigrinya people that played unique role in technology, trade, religion and philosophy which
have shaped the Horn of Africa and impacted the world.
- The Obelisks in Axum are unique (different to Egyptian Obelisks) in design with
futuristic high-rise building architecture
- Alphabets, literature and culture that is being used throughout Ethiopia and Eritrea
- The 1st nation on earth to engrave the Christian cross on its coin
- The keepers of the only and the original Arch of Covenant which was/will be the
center of worship for the Jews people
- Among the top three countries in the world that made Christianity as their state
religion at the beginning of the 4th century.
- The first country in the world to host Muslims (1st Hijra) which established the
foundation for the peaceful co-existence of Muslims and Christians in Ethiopia
- The innovators of the unique Christian worship of God (Yaredawi Zema)
- The world-famous Christian reformer Aba Estifanous of the 15th century, who started
his reformistic work about 100 years ahead of the German reformer Martin Luther.
Aba Estifanos was savagely and cruelly killed by Emperor Zara Yaqoob in DebreBerhan Shewa.
- The world-famous philosopher Zera Yacob of the 17th century, who was denounced
by Emperor Susenyos (1607-1632) in Gondar
- The defeat of the Colonizers (including Italy which is the descendant of the Roman
Empire) at Kuatit, Sahati, Gurae, Gundet, Dogali and Adwa. It is obvious that Adwa’s
victory was a shared victory of all Ethiopians, but the determinant role was played by
the Tigrayan General Alula and his intelligence officer Bashai Awalom. The victory of
Adwa resonated throughout the world and inspired the subsequent decolonization
of the world.
- Meles Zenawi and his team designed and implemented the developmental state
model, to the context of Ethiopia, which illuminated a light of hope at the end of the
tunnel and brought millions of people out of poverty and positioned Ethiopia among
the top fast-growing economies in the world. Such model is expected to be followed
by other African countries in the years to come.
- Ethiopian Airlines was given a rebirth about 20 years ago under TPLF/EPRDF
leadership which transformed the airline from highly vulnerable niche airline to global
airline which has become number one in Africa and a success model for African
countries.
- The Tigrayans have been recently savagely and cruelly invaded by highly
disproportionate hundreds of thousands of well-equipped armies of their own
brothers (Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia) and, United Arab Emirates state of the art attack
drones which they have successfully defended and defeated. This achievement a
lesson to the world on how a united, organized people with a just cause, the right
strategy and leadership, though poorly equipped, could defeat and prevail against all
the odds. It is also amazing to see how Tigray has humanly treated thousands of
prisoners of war who most of them committed barbaric crimes against the defenseless
Tigrayan civilians which is similar to how Emperor Ezana treated his war subjects
some 1700 years ago as illustrated below (the text is extracted from one of his stone
inscriptions).
“The Campaign against the Beja; (I). Ezana, king of the Aksumites, the
Himyarites, Raeidan, the Ethiopians, the Sabaeans, Silei (Salhen), Tiyamo, the
Beja and Kasou, king of kings, son of the unconquered god Ares. Since the
people of the Beja rose up, we sent our brothers Saiazana and Adefan to
fight them. When these had taken arms against the enemy, they made them
submit and they brought them to us with their dependents, with 3112 head
of cattle, 6224 sheep, and beasts of burden. My brothers gave them meat
and wheat to eat, and beer, wine, and water to drink, all to their satisfaction
whatever their number. There were six chiefs with their peoples, to the
number of 4400 and they received each day 22,000 loaves of wheat and wine
for four months until my brothers had brought them to me. After having
given them, all means of sustenance, and clothed them, we installed these
prisoners by force in a place in our land called Matlia. And we commanded
again that they are given supplies, and we accorded to each chief 25,140
head of cattle ….”.

(2) The Spiritual Destiny of the Axumite Empire
The spiritual destiny of the Axumite Empire is described in the bible in Isiah Chapter 18.
Without going to the controversial and vague details, Isiah Chapter 18 verse 2 talks about
‘’a people feared far and wide, an aggressive nation of strange speech whose land is
divided by rivers (ረጃጅምና ቈዳው ወደ ለሰለሰ፣ከቅርብም ከሩቅም ወደሚፈራ ሕዝብ፣ኀያልና ቋንቋው
ወደማይገባ፣ወንዞች ምድሩን ወደሚከፍሉት)”. The whole Isaias chapter 18, illustrates the rise (verse 1
to 3), the fall and decay (verse 4 to 6) & and again the rise (verse 7) of the Axumite
Empire. At the end of verse 7 it is written that gifts will be brought to the Mount Zion (i.e.,
Jerusalem) to the Lord almighty (በዚያን ጊዜ ለሰራዊት ጌታ ለእግዚአብሔር፣ረጃጅምና ቈዳው ከለሰለሰ፣
ከቅርብም ከሩቅም ከሚፈራ ሕዝብ፣ኀያልና ቋንቋው ከማይገባ፣ወንዞችም ምድሩን ከሚከፍሉት መንግሥት፣ገጸ በረከት
ይመጣለታል፤ ገጸ በረከቱም የሚመጣለት የሰራዊት ጌታ እግዚአብሔር ስም ወዳለበት ወደ ጽዮን ተራራ ነው) ።
I am very sure that one of the gifts will be the Ark of Covenant from Axum with other
material gifts (gold, precious stones etc.). Other gifts could be mighty men of God that will
rise and win multitude of souls from the whole world to the Kingdom of God from the core
descendants of the Axumite Empire, from the Tigray-Tigrigna people as well as the rest of
Ethiopia. According to Isaiah 18 verse 7 and my own conviction, same as Israel was reborn
in 1948 after about 2000 years absence, the Axumite Empire shall be reborn in the next
20 to 30 years (about 100 years after the rebirth of Israel and after more than 1000 years
of its disintegration).
(3) Who are the descendants of the Axumite Empire?
To answer this question in a simplified way, I referred to Ezana’s stone inscription mentioned
above, and all the people mentioned in that inscription could claim to be its descendants.
What it means is that all existing nations and nationalities of Ethiopia and all citizens of Horn
Africa, Sudan, Yemen, Southern Saudi Arabia, and Southern Egypt are stakeholders to the
Axumite Empire. Regarding which people of Ethiopia were the core part of the Axumite
Empire there is obviously a competition between Tigrayan elites and Amhara elites. In my
view considering the historical mix of people between North and South Ethiopia both
Tigrayans and Amharas could claim to be the core of the Axumite Empire and work together
for its rebirth. Its is important to note that both the old and new churches in the Axum, the
Church of our Lady Mary of Zion, were rebuilt by Amhara kings.
(4) Past Efforts to revive the Axumite Empire
I believe all post Axumite Empire Christian Kings of Ethiopia got their inspiration from the
Axumite Empire. Even Ahmad ibn Ibrahim (Gran Ahmed) also envisioned and worked to build
Bahir Dar centered Horn of Africa Islamic Empire.
When Emperor Tewodros wrote a letter to Queen Victoria about his readiness to free
Jerusalem, that was the spirit of the Axumite Empire at work in him.
Emperor Yohannes tried to revive the Axumite Empire centered at its original location and
gave assignment to King Menelik of Shewa and King Tekle Haymanot of Gojjam to expand
South, East and West to widen the territories of the Empire. Emperor Menelik effectively and
efficiently expanded to the south of Ethiopia but gave the present-day Eritrea to Italy.
Emperor Haile Selassie reclaimed Eritrea, but the Military Government Derg lost it with the
blessing of TPLF/EPRDF. PM Meles envisioned and worked hard to revive the Axumite
Empire centered out of its original location in Addis Ababa but that could not be sustained
(lesson to the new TPLF). President Isaias dreamed to revive the Axumite Empire centered
at the Italy built city of Asmara but failed (He started the 1998 and instigated and
participated in the recent war with that vision). Dr. Abiy Ahmed has also claimed he will build
a strong Ethiopia founded on the biggest ethnic group of Ethiopia, the Oromos. For that to
happen, Dr. Abiy has a long way to go to unite Oromos and Ethiopians and to root out the
chronic corruption culture within the Ethiopian government civil service. Even though it is
too late, he also needs to make peace particularly with the people of Tigray and TPLF. By
now, it is my expectation that PM Abiy knows very well that war is not an option, and he
must engage with TPLF on a serious peace negotiation for a win-win agreement. He must
also accept the fact that Tigray, seemingly weak and poor, was and will be the heavy stone
on the rulers of Ethiopia (Zechariah 12:3) until the Axumite Empire is established at its
historical site.
(5) The Ark of Covenant – A Blessing and Curse for the Axumite Empire and its descendants
Regarding how the ark of Covenant was brought to Axum the following are the main two
theories:
- According to the Kebra Negast the Ark of Covenant was stolen from the temple by
Menelik I, with divine assistance. However, I do not understand the need for divine
assistance to steal someone’s property!
- Graham Hancock in his 1992 book titled “The Sign and the Seal”, illustrated that the
Ark of Covenant may had come via Egypt to Tana Lake by the Bete Israels’ but later
it was taken by force by the Axumites probably during war among the two. He also
tried to prove that the Ark of covenant was in the Jews Temple in Jerusalem for some
hundred years later than claimed by the Kebra Negast that it was transferred to Axum.
Without going to the argument which of the above theories is correct, one common fact is
that the Ark of Covenant was stolen or forcibly taken from the Jews by the Axumites.
According to the bible in 1st Samuel 4: 1-10 the Ark of Covenant was captured at one time
by the Philistines after defeating the Israelites’ army. 1st Samuel 5 and 6 describe how God
sent devastating punishment to Philistines for capturing the Ark of Covenant and how they
were forced to return it, with gifts, to its rightful owners, the Israelites. The writer of this
article has strong conviction that the fall of the Axumite Empire and the suffering and
persecution of its descendants, the Tigrayans, until today are attributed to a punishment by
God for stealing and hiding the Ark of Covenant. The immediate solution to come out of the
curse is repentance and being ready to give it back with gifts (Isaiah 18:7) to the Jews when
they are ready after building the third temple, which could happen in the near future. There
is also no biblical foundation for hiding the Arc of Covenant from the public view (Matthew
5:14-15) and the Tigray Orthodox Church must display it to be visited by the whole world
as a testimony that the word of God is true. As an information, I had a chance of meeting
the guardian of the Arc of Covenant in Axum Zion Church a couple of years ago and I asked
him “what will be the church’s reply if Israel ask for the return of the Arc of the covenant to
Israel”. His answer was “that depends on the will of God, He was the one who gave us to
guard it and when God wants to take it back to is owners, we have to give it”, which I
completely agree!
(6) Who is responsible for the Rebirth of the Axumite Empire (I re-named it as “Axumite
States”?
The Tigrayans in Ethiopia and Eritrea (Tigray-Tigrinya people) must and should be the major
drivers of the rebirth of the Axumite States. These people are the two sides of one coin,
which were divided through the conspiracy of colonialists and rival Ethiopian politicians.
There is strong mistrust, unforgiveness and victim mind set among these people, however,
the time is coming for these seemingly two but one people to come together guided by a
visionary leadership that will be born out of the current crises. In addition, the Amhara’s and
other Ethiopians are expected to support the rebirth process in due time as their future
destiny is tied with it.
(7) Tigray-Tigrinya and the Agazian movement
The Agazian movement established by Eritrean Tigrayan’s is the unpolished diamond and
pragmatic initiative that is bringing the Tigrayans in Ethiopia and Eritrea to unity and
paradigm shift. However, the Agazian movement must be accommodative and tolerant and
accept all Tigrayans and related ethnicities irrespective of language and religion (Christians,
Muslims, Jews, atheists etc.) in the same way to our Axumite ancestors. It has to also focus
on preparing Tigray and Eritrea for the rebirth of the Axumite Empire. I recommend that the
Agazian movement conducts one gathering per year in Axum and organize itself to lead the
unification of Tigrayans for the rebirth process. I personally feel that I must give part of the
rest of my life for this cause, and I look forward to being part of this movement as it gates
shaped as coherent and accommodative organization with clear Axumite Empire rebirth
vision.

(8) Tigray- Amhara Alliance
Despite the ongoing ugly civil war and infighting and rivalry between the Tigrayan and
Amhara politicians, elites and activists, the people of Tigray and Amhara have a strong bond
and strategic alliance that no one can damage. These two people are the pioneers of
Ethiopia, they have shared history, culture and values. The recent misunderstanding among
these people is based on an ill-intended intensive, divisive and hate propaganda by those
Egypt and Eritrea funded politicians and media out lets who are sold out to work against
their country. The border issue is not unique to Tigray and Amhara, as the same problem
exists among all other regional governments, but it was intentionally hijacked, propagated
and exploited to instigate emotionally charged hate and conflict among Tigrayans and
Amharas and to divide Ethiopians and to weaken the Ethiopian government which was
effectively implemented. As the existing misunderstanding is going to be resolved through
time, it is my strong believe that these two people will work hand in hand for the rebirth of
the Axumite States. I call upon all concerned stakeholders to contribute their part to heal
the wound and normalize relationships.
Tigray-Oromia/Afar/Somalia /Agew/Kimant … etc Alliance
The Oromos and Tigrayans have shared vision with respect the future structure of Ethiopia
and both would like to have autonomous administration and a decentralized and federated
Ethiopia. The alliance between Oromos and Tigrayans could be strategic and a major
stabilizing factor for the whole Ethiopia and Horn of Africa. As the Oromos and Tigrayans
co-shoulder the leadership responsibility to shape the future of Ethiopia, support from other
Ethiopians is very crucial for their success. Same shared vision and alliance could be
established with Afar, Somalia, Agew and other nations and nationalities of Ethiopia.
Ultimately Amharas are expected to join the Oromo-Tigray alliance.
(9) TPLF and the Prosperity Party
I understand that the current relationship between both parties looks irreparably damaged
but there is no other option than to discuss, negotiate and work out a road map on how to
transition Ethiopia to the future. However, if both parties continue to work against each
other and if there will be an intention by Dr. Abiy to change the existing constitution without
the consent of TPLF and other nationalist parties, it is most likely that TPLF will declare an
independent Tigray with the consent of the Tigray people which could be recognized by
post-Isaias Eritrea and confederate with Eritrea. Tigray as the soul, spirit and heart of Ethiopia
or as PM Dr. Abiy rightly said it “Tigray as the engine of Ethiopia” is the binding glue to
sustain the integrity of Ethiopia and has to be given the due respect, autonomy, and
recognition. Unfortunately, the genocide and crime that has been committed in Tigray by the
Ethiopian army, Amhara special forces/militia and Eritrean army and the ethnic profiling and
persecution of Tigrayans throughout Ethiopia (I am also one of the victims) under the watch
of PM Abiy has complicated the reconciliation of TPLF and PP and his own political future.
(10) Shifting the Center of Gravity of Geopolitics and Economy of the Horn of Africa to Tigray
Elites of Tigray (prior to the war) were proposing the following various strategies to keep or
further enhance its autonomy and build a prosperous Tigray
- An independent Tigray modelled after Israel (Tegadalai Mehari Yohannes, Mekelle
University Lecturer)
- A de facto State (Dr. Mehari Taddele, A prominent Scholar)
- Confederation with Ethiopia (Professor Medhane Tadesse Lecturer)
- Democratized Strong Tigray as Part of Ethiopia (Tigray Prosperity Party members)
- Autonomous Tigray as part of Ethiopia/ If not possible Independent Tigray (Tegadalai
Dr. General Teklebirhan)
In my view all the above options are possible, but we need to identify the one that meets
the aspirations of the Tigray people, most feasible and strategically rewarding path without
disintegrating Ethiopia. Generations of Tigrayans and all other Ethiopians have died and
invested all their life for the territorial integrity and development of Ethiopia and it is my
strong conviction and advise to all key stakeholders including TPLF to work toward a new
structure that maintains or expands the existing territory of Ethiopia by converting most of
the existing federal states to sovereign states and willingly integrate them under one
Union(Ethiopian Union modeled after the European Union, to the extent it is relevant).
Thinking only about the independence of Tigray and ignoring the rest of Ethiopia is like
throwing the baby with the bathwater and TPLF has to allocate the required resources to
help the “Tigray minus Ethiopia” remains peaceful with itself and its neighbors. Ethiopian
Union could progressively include willing countries in the Horn of Africa such as Eritrea,
Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia and Djibouti. Therefore, I recommend the following:
- A sovereign Tigray confederated with Ethiopia and with unconditional right to leave
the confederation whenever it wants. Tigray will ultimately become the
political/democratic, cultural, economic and a technology center of the Horn of Africa
within the next 20 to 30 years and one of the anchors and pillars of the Ethiopian
Union. Tigray as a sovereign country but confederated with Ethiopia stays armed and
united to defend itself and have a MOSSAD like intelligence unit that safeguards
Tigrayans and their interests both in Tigray and elsewhere. The confederation could
have a fully integrated & liberalized boundary, economy, monetary policy and
common currency & passport and cross utilization and joint development of strategic
infrastructure like electric power, multimodal transportation, education, etc. Since
Oromos have similar dream of establishing a sovereign state, Tigray and Oromia could
play the leading role in transforming Federal Ethiopia to Confederated Ethiopia.
- If the above scenario is not possible, the fall-back scenario is the establishment of
an independent Tigray legally as per the existing constitution and get recognition by
United Nations through the sponsorship of post–Isaias Eritrea or Ethiopia and
establishment of a confederation with Eritrea which will ultimately evolve to the
Axumite Federal States by integrating additional willing states in the Horn of Africa.

(11) The Role of the Tigrayan government on the Rebirth of the Axumite States
- Aggressively develop Tigray with the objective of positioning Tigray to be the center
gravity of geopolitical, economic, technological, military and cultural affairs in the
Horn of Africa within the next 20 to 30 years.
- Build a new pan Africa City, which will be the best green city in Africa, around and
close to Axum that will ultimately be the capital city of Axumite states. This city will
be a metropolitan city in which all religions are tolerated and accommodated to
freely practice their faith and build their own worship and prayer place.
- Continue to build Mekelle to be the best” black African built technology-based
ecommerce /commercial city in Africa” modelled after Dubai.
- Liberalize land ownership and allow land private owners (farmers or urban dwellers)
to sell their land-based on market value. The government shall be limited to
regulation and sales tax collection. The existing land policy has resulted in one
corrupted monopoly land supplier (the government) that has been leasing land at
an artificially high lease rate while providing very low compensation to the real
owners of the land, the farmers. It has also encouraged farmers to stay, in their
comfort zone, as life-time subsistence farmers with limited economic growth
potential and vulnerable to famine
- Aggressively invest on education, Information Technology and e-commerce,
mechanized and irrigated commercial farming (along the valley of the Tekeze river
modelled after Israel irrigation technology), mining, tourism development, and
industrialization.
- Promote migration of farmers and their families to cities and build big cities
throughout Tigray in each district. Target for 80 % all Tigray citizens to live in cities
by the year 2050 and totally abolish subsistence farming.
- Build corruption free effective and efficient “private sector driven developmental
state economic model”.
- Encourage Tigrayan investors to make their majority of investment in Tigray and to
move/build their head offices to/in Tigray while building a business network
throughout the region and globally.
- Build corruption intolerant democratic culture in Tigray.
o The hundreds of thousands of Tigrayans sacrificed for the struggle including
in the ongoing war is going to be in vain unless Tigray succeeds to build a
corruption intolerant democratic governance system. As Tigray ignited the 1st

torch for the decolonization of the colonized world, it has the potential to
build a vibrant democracy that could be a model for the whole Africa. Africans
are waiting for that!
o Support the establishment of council of elders and all political parties that
establish code of conduct on how political parties operate in Tigray. Those
political parties that violate the agreed code of conduct (divisive, hate based
politics, sponsored by outsiders etc.)) must be banned.
o Conduct free and fair competitive elections periodically.
o Free media, respect for individual rights, corruption free and efficient justice
system
- Establish relationships with the various Agazian movements or any democratic
groups in Eritrea and provide support with the objective of bringing the TigrayTigrigna
people to one shared vision on the rebirth of the Axumite States.
- Establish a foreign policy anchored on a strategic relationship with USA and Israel
but multi-country /economic block alliance with all regional and global players
including but not limited to Sudan, Africa, Europe, Great Britain, China, Middle East,
Russia, Turkey etc.
(12) Quick wins for reconstruction of Tigray
- Post war Tigray reconstruction global fund raising/investment attraction campaign
o The ongoing war has promoted Tigray to be a well-known global brand (The
Tigray people are now recognized as “war and genocidal victims but
victorious, disciplined and law-abiding people”) which could be exploited to
the advantage of Tigray. Post war Tigray has to develop reconstruction fund
raising and investment attraction strategy and conduct an intensive one year
long global campaign that could generate tens of billions of dollars targeting
individual global citizens and the black people (through social media),
developed countries, non-governmental organizations, top 1000 richest
individuals, Fortune 1000 companies etc. Ethiopia, Eritrea and United Arab
Emirates must also pay compensation in Billions USD for the human,
psychological/moral and material loss they caused to Tigray
- Tourism potential
o In coordination to the Tigrayan Orthodox church, display the original Ark of
Covenant in a highly secured glass housing in the Mariam Tsion Church or in
a different site, and promote it to the whole world to be visited. Assuming 5%
of the about 9 million annual visitors of Vatican and Jerusalem will make
pilgrimage to Axum annually to see the Ark and each tourist to stay in Axum
and its environs three days and spend USD 100 per day, a revenue in a hard
currency of USD 135,000,000 million per year could be generated.
o In coordination to the Tigray Muslims authorities, promote Negash as part of
Mecca pilgrimage package as “Habesha Land 1st Hijra tour”. Based on a
historical data about 12 million Muslims visit Mecca every year. Assuming 5%
of them will come to Tigray annually to visit Negash and each visitor will stay
in Mekelle for two days and spend USD 50 per day, a revenue in hard currency
of USD 120,000000 in hard currency every year could be generated. This
requires starting a direct flight between Mekelle and Jedda which could be
done in coordination to Ethiopian Airlines and Saudi Airlines. It is sad that the
Negash mosque has been damaged during the war in Tigray and its repair
requires urgent action by all concerned.
o Tigray is an “Open Museum” and the inspiration of black’s resistance and
freedom could generate additional hundreds of million dollars per year from
the tourism sector, if proper attention is given by all stakeholders
(government, religious institutions, tour operators and Ethiopian Airlines). The
Tigray state also could create a tour operator that drives the tourism sector.
- Mining potential
o Tigray could organize thousands of unemployed youths by equipping (through
leasing or long-term financing) with portable extraction mechanized tools,
loaders, pumps and excavators and knowhow to extract minerals in an
environmentally friendly and healthy manner such as gold, precious stones etc.
Mesfin Engineering could be used to design and build portable mining
equipment
(13) The Role of Tigray Spiritual Institutions in the reconstruction of Tigray
- The Tigray Orthodox church
o It is recommended that the Tigray Orthodox Church implements
transformational changes based on the teachings off Aba Estifanos and
become the model of transformation both for the Ethiopian Orthodox and
Eritrea Orthodox Churches.
o It is also recommended that the Ark of Covenant is displayed in a secured
place. That is biblically the right thing to do, and it also will make Tigray a
center of global attention and a tourist hub.
- The Tigray Muslim Authorities’
o It is recommended that the Tigray Muslim authorities play the leadership role
to promote Negash by involving the Saudi Arabia Muslim Authorities. It is
possible to convince Ethiopian Airlines and Saudi Airlines to start direct
regular flights between Mekelle and Mecca. If new political developments allow
it, Ethiopian Airlines could also make Mekelle as its hub for Haji operations
where all Haji travelers from Ethiopia/ Africa/world going to Mecca make one
day or two days stay in Mekelle to visit Negash before or after travelling to
Mecca.

Axumezana

Re: Positioning Post-War Tigray in the Horn of Africa!

Post by Axumezana » 13 Sep 2022, 07:48

Axumezana wrote:
14 Aug 2021, 17:59

(1) Background
The Persian religious leader Mani (who died in 274 AD) regarded the Axumite Empire as
one of the four great powers of his time, alongside Persia (Iran), Rome and China. King
Ezana’s stone inscription from around 300 AD, still standing in Axum also confirms Mani’s
claim about the Axumite Empire. In the inscription, Ezana stated that “he was the king of
Axumites, and Himyarite’s (Yemen & part of Saudi Arabia), and of Raeidan and Ethiopians,
and Sabaites (South Arabia) and of Silee, and of Tiamo and Bogaities (Beja) and Kasu (Kush)”.
Though there are various assumptions and contrasting historical evidence regarding to the
origins of the Axumite civilization, one can reasonably assume that it was highland
indigenous black African civilization crossbreed with Middle East civilizations of its times.
The Empire of Axum at its height extended across most of the present-day Ethiopia, Eritrea,
destroyed by the internal revolt led by Yodit in the 10th century, following to its long decline
starting the 7th century due to the expansion of the Persian Empire to its territories and
Edward Gibbon in his 18th-century book titled “The decline and fall of the Roman Empire”
stated, “encompassed on all sides by their enemies, the Ethiopians slept near a thousand
years, forgetful of the world, by whom they were forgotten”. Though the medieval to 20th
descendants of the Axumite Empire, none of them was able to awaken the Empire from its
When the late Prime Minister Meles Zenawi came with the motto of “ትልቅ ነበርን ትልቅ እንሆናለን”
the “ትልቅ ነበርን” undoubtedly refers to the Axumite Empire. I is my strong belief that, PM
Meles’s grand vision and strong conviction of Renaissance of Ethiopia and Africa was
inspired and shaped by the former glory and success of the Axumite Empire as well us what
he experienced during the armed struggle on the capability of the Tigrayans to fight and win
their enemies against all odds whether man made or natural disasters. I think PM Meles had
discovered during the armed struggle that the Axumite Empire’s indomitability and spirit of
wisdom, bravery, justice, determination, technological, social, economic and political
advancement are still alive in each Tigrayan DNA, whether educated or uneducated or poor
or rich. PM Meles on one of his famous speeches stated about the Tigrayan people “እንኻእ
Axumites was at work when PM Meles, launched the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam
(GERD), in Guba Benishangul Gumz, on April 02, 2011, even though he may had known very
The recent resurrection of TPLF/TDF after it was declared dead and buried by the Ethiopian
government and Isaias army could only be explained by the intervention of the just God and
The following are few of the unique contributions of the Axumites and their direct
descendants the Tigrayans (that includes the Tigrayans in Eritrea) which are named as
TigrayTigrinya people that played unique role in technology, trade, religion and philosophy which
- The Obelisks in Axum are unique (different to Egyptian Obelisks) in design with
- Alphabets, literature and culture that is being used throughout Ethiopia and Eritrea
- The keepers of the only and the original Arch of Covenant which was/will be the
- Among the top three countries in the world that made Christianity as their state
- The first country in the world to host Muslims (1st Hijra) which established the
- The world-famous Christian reformer Aba Estifanous of the 15th century, who started
his reformistic work about 100 years ahead of the German reformer Martin Luther.
Aba Estifanos was savagely and cruelly killed by Emperor Zara Yaqoob in DebreBerhan Shewa.
- The world-famous philosopher Zera Yacob of the 17th century, who was denounced
- The defeat of the Colonizers (including Italy which is the descendant of the Roman
Empire) at Kuatit, Sahati, Gurae, Gundet, Dogali and Adwa. It is obvious that Adwa’s
victory was a shared victory of all Ethiopians, but the determinant role was played by
the Tigrayan General Alula and his intelligence officer Bashai Awalom. The victory of
of the world.
model, to the context of Ethiopia, which illuminated a light of hope at the end of the
tunnel and brought millions of people out of poverty and positioned Ethiopia among
the top fast-growing economies in the world. Such model is expected to be followed
leadership which transformed the airline from highly vulnerable niche airline to global
countries.
brothers (Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia) and, United Arab Emirates state of the art attack
lesson to the world on how a united, organized people with a just cause, the right
strategy and leadership, though poorly equipped, could defeat and prevail against all
prisoners of war who most of them committed barbaric crimes against the defenseless
Tigrayan civilians which is similar to how Emperor Ezana treated his war subjects
some 1700 years ago as illustrated below (the text is extracted from one of his stone
inscriptions).
head of cattle ….”.

The spiritual destiny of the Axumite Empire is described in the bible in Isiah Chapter 18.
Without going to the controversial and vague details, Isiah Chapter 18 verse 2 talks about
‘’a people feared far and wide, an aggressive nation of strange speech whose land is
ወደማይገባ፣ወንዞች ምድሩን ወደሚከፍሉት)”. The whole Isaias chapter 18, illustrates the rise (verse 1
to 3), the fall and decay (verse 4 to 6) & and again the rise (verse 7) of the Axumite
Empire. At the end of verse 7 it is written that gifts will be brought to the Mount Zion (i.e.,
I am very sure that one of the gifts will be the Ark of Covenant from Axum with other
material gifts (gold, precious stones etc.). Other gifts could be mighty men of God that will
rise and win multitude of souls from the whole world to the Kingdom of God from the core
descendants of the Axumite Empire, from the Tigray-Tigrigna people as well as the rest of
Ethiopia. According to Isaiah 18 verse 7 and my own conviction, same as Israel was reborn
in 1948 after about 2000 years absence, the Axumite Empire shall be reborn in the next
20 to 30 years (about 100 years after the rebirth of Israel and after more than 1000 years
of its disintegration).
To answer this question in a simplified way, I referred to Ezana’s stone inscription mentioned
above, and all the people mentioned in that inscription could claim to be its descendants.
What it means is that all existing nations and nationalities of Ethiopia and all citizens of Horn
Africa, Sudan, Yemen, Southern Saudi Arabia, and Southern Egypt are stakeholders to the
Axumite Empire. Regarding which people of Ethiopia were the core part of the Axumite
Empire there is obviously a competition between Tigrayan elites and Amhara elites. In my
view considering the historical mix of people between North and South Ethiopia both
Tigrayans and Amharas could claim to be the core of the Axumite Empire and work together
for its rebirth. Its is important to note that both the old and new churches in the Axum, the
I believe all post Axumite Empire Christian Kings of Ethiopia got their inspiration from the
Axumite Empire. Even Ahmad ibn Ibrahim (Gran Ahmed) also envisioned and worked to build
When Emperor Tewodros wrote a letter to Queen Victoria about his readiness to free
Emperor Yohannes tried to revive the Axumite Empire centered at its original location and
gave assignment to King Menelik of Shewa and King Tekle Haymanot of Gojjam to expand
South, East and West to widen the territories of the Empire. Emperor Menelik effectively and
efficiently expanded to the south of Ethiopia but gave the present-day Eritrea to Italy.
Emperor Haile Selassie reclaimed Eritrea, but the Military Government Derg lost it with the
blessing of TPLF/EPRDF. PM Meles envisioned and worked hard to revive the Axumite
Empire centered out of its original location in Addis Ababa but that could not be sustained
(lesson to the new TPLF). President Isaias dreamed to revive the Axumite Empire centered
at the Italy built city of Asmara but failed (He started the 1998 and instigated and
participated in the recent war with that vision). Dr. Abiy Ahmed has also claimed he will build
a strong Ethiopia founded on the biggest ethnic group of Ethiopia, the Oromos. For that to
happen, Dr. Abiy has a long way to go to unite Oromos and Ethiopians and to root out the
chronic corruption culture within the Ethiopian government civil service. Even though it is
too late, he also needs to make peace particularly with the people of Tigray and TPLF. By
now, it is my expectation that PM Abiy knows very well that war is not an option, and he
must engage with TPLF on a serious peace negotiation for a win-win agreement. He must
also accept the fact that Tigray, seemingly weak and poor, was and will be the heavy stone
on the rulers of Ethiopia (Zechariah 12:3) until the Axumite Empire is established at its
historical site.
(5) The Ark of Covenant – A Blessing and Curse for the Axumite Empire and its descendants
Regarding how the ark of Covenant was brought to Axum the following are the main two
theories:
- According to the Kebra Negast the Ark of Covenant was stolen from the temple by
Menelik I, with divine assistance. However, I do not understand the need for divine
- Graham Hancock in his 1992 book titled “The Sign and the Seal”, illustrated that the
Ark of Covenant may had come via Egypt to Tana Lake by the Bete Israels’ but later
it was taken by force by the Axumites probably during war among the two. He also
tried to prove that the Ark of covenant was in the Jews Temple in Jerusalem for some
hundred years later than claimed by the Kebra Negast that it was transferred to Axum.
Without going to the argument which of the above theories is correct, one common fact is
that the Ark of Covenant was stolen or forcibly taken from the Jews by the Axumites.
According to the bible in 1st Samuel 4: 1-10 the Ark of Covenant was captured at one time
by the Philistines after defeating the Israelites’ army. 1st Samuel 5 and 6 describe how God
sent devastating punishment to Philistines for capturing the Ark of Covenant and how they
were forced to return it, with gifts, to its rightful owners, the Israelites. The writer of this
article has strong conviction that the fall of the Axumite Empire and the suffering and
persecution of its descendants, the Tigrayans, until today are attributed to a punishment by
God for stealing and hiding the Ark of Covenant. The immediate solution to come out of the
curse is repentance and being ready to give it back with gifts (Isaiah 18:7) to the Jews when
they are ready after building the third temple, which could happen in the near future. There
is also no biblical foundation for hiding the Arc of Covenant from the public view (Matthew
5:14-15) and the Tigray Orthodox Church must display it to be visited by the whole world
as a testimony that the word of God is true. As an information, I had a chance of meeting
the guardian of the Arc of Covenant in Axum Zion Church a couple of years ago and I asked
him “what will be the church’s reply if Israel ask for the return of the Arc of the covenant to
Israel”. His answer was “that depends on the will of God, He was the one who gave us to
guard it and when God wants to take it back to is owners, we have to give it”, which I
completely agree!
(6) Who is responsible for the Rebirth of the Axumite Empire (I re-named it as “Axumite
States”?
The Tigrayans in Ethiopia and Eritrea (Tigray-Tigrinya people) must and should be the major
drivers of the rebirth of the Axumite States. These people are the two sides of one coin,
which were divided through the conspiracy of colonialists and rival Ethiopian politicians.
There is strong mistrust, unforgiveness and victim mind set among these people, however,
the time is coming for these seemingly two but one people to come together guided by a
visionary leadership that will be born out of the current crises. In addition, the Amhara’s and
other Ethiopians are expected to support the rebirth process in due time as their future
destiny is tied with it.
The Agazian movement established by Eritrean Tigrayan’s is the unpolished diamond and
pragmatic initiative that is bringing the Tigrayans in Ethiopia and Eritrea to unity and
paradigm shift. However, the Agazian movement must be accommodative and tolerant and
accept all Tigrayans and related ethnicities irrespective of language and religion (Christians,
Muslims, Jews, atheists etc.) in the same way to our Axumite ancestors. It has to also focus
on preparing Tigray and Eritrea for the rebirth of the Axumite Empire. I recommend that the
Agazian movement conducts one gathering per year in Axum and organize itself to lead the
unification of Tigrayans for the rebirth process. I personally feel that I must give part of the
rest of my life for this cause, and I look forward to being part of this movement as it gates
shaped as coherent and accommodative organization with clear Axumite Empire rebirth
vision.

Despite the ongoing ugly civil war and infighting and rivalry between the Tigrayan and
Amhara politicians, elites and activists, the people of Tigray and Amhara have a strong bond
and strategic alliance that no one can damage. These two people are the pioneers of
Ethiopia, they have shared history, culture and values. The recent misunderstanding among
these people is based on an ill-intended intensive, divisive and hate propaganda by those
Egypt and Eritrea funded politicians and media out lets who are sold out to work against
their country. The border issue is not unique to Tigray and Amhara, as the same problem
exists among all other regional governments, but it was intentionally hijacked, propagated
and exploited to instigate emotionally charged hate and conflict among Tigrayans and
Amharas and to divide Ethiopians and to weaken the Ethiopian government which was
effectively implemented. As the existing misunderstanding is going to be resolved through
time, it is my strong believe that these two people will work hand in hand for the rebirth of
the Axumite States. I call upon all concerned stakeholders to contribute their part to heal
The Oromos and Tigrayans have shared vision with respect the future structure of Ethiopia
and both would like to have autonomous administration and a decentralized and federated
Ethiopia. The alliance between Oromos and Tigrayans could be strategic and a major
stabilizing factor for the whole Ethiopia and Horn of Africa. As the Oromos and Tigrayans
co-shoulder the leadership responsibility to shape the future of Ethiopia, support from other
Ethiopians is very crucial for their success. Same shared vision and alliance could be
established with Afar, Somalia, Agew and other nations and nationalities of Ethiopia.
I understand that the current relationship between both parties looks irreparably damaged
but there is no other option than to discuss, negotiate and work out a road map on how to
transition Ethiopia to the future. However, if both parties continue to work against each
other and if there will be an intention by Dr. Abiy to change the existing constitution without
the consent of TPLF and other nationalist parties, it is most likely that TPLF will declare an
independent Tigray with the consent of the Tigray people which could be recognized by
post-Isaias Eritrea and confederate with Eritrea. Tigray as the soul, spirit and heart of Ethiopia
or as PM Dr. Abiy rightly said it “Tigray as the engine of Ethiopia” is the binding glue to
sustain the integrity of Ethiopia and has to be given the due respect, autonomy, and
recognition. Unfortunately, the genocide and crime that has been committed in Tigray by the
Ethiopian army, Amhara special forces/militia and Eritrean army and the ethnic profiling and
persecution of Tigrayans throughout Ethiopia (I am also one of the victims) under the watch
of PM Abiy has complicated the reconciliation of TPLF and PP and his own political future.
(10) Shifting the Center of Gravity of Geopolitics and Economy of the Horn of Africa to Tigray
Elites of Tigray (prior to the war) were proposing the following various strategies to keep or
- An independent Tigray modelled after Israel (Tegadalai Mehari Yohannes, Mekelle
University Lecturer)
- Democratized Strong Tigray as Part of Ethiopia (Tigray Prosperity Party members)
- Autonomous Tigray as part of Ethiopia/ If not possible Independent Tigray (Tegadalai
Dr. General Teklebirhan)
In my view all the above options are possible, but we need to identify the one that meets
the aspirations of the Tigray people, most feasible and strategically rewarding path without
disintegrating Ethiopia. Generations of Tigrayans and all other Ethiopians have died and
invested all their life for the territorial integrity and development of Ethiopia and it is my
strong conviction and advise to all key stakeholders including TPLF to work toward a new
structure that maintains or expands the existing territory of Ethiopia by converting most of
the existing federal states to sovereign states and willingly integrate them under one
Union(Ethiopian Union modeled after the European Union, to the extent it is relevant).
Thinking only about the independence of Tigray and ignoring the rest of Ethiopia is like
throwing the baby with the bathwater and TPLF has to allocate the required resources to
help the “Tigray minus Ethiopia” remains peaceful with itself and its neighbors. Ethiopian
Union could progressively include willing countries in the Horn of Africa such as Eritrea,
- A sovereign Tigray confederated with Ethiopia and with unconditional right to leave
political/democratic, cultural, economic and a technology center of the Horn of Africa
within the next 20 to 30 years and one of the anchors and pillars of the Ethiopian
Union. Tigray as a sovereign country but confederated with Ethiopia stays armed and
united to defend itself and have a MOSSAD like intelligence unit that safeguards
Tigrayans and their interests both in Tigray and elsewhere. The confederation could
common currency & passport and cross utilization and joint development of strategic
infrastructure like electric power, multimodal transportation, education, etc. Since
Oromos have similar dream of establishing a sovereign state, Tigray and Oromia could
play the leading role in transforming Federal Ethiopia to Confederated Ethiopia.
- If the above scenario is not possible, the fall-back scenario is the establishment of
an independent Tigray legally as per the existing constitution and get recognition by
establishment of a confederation with Eritrea which will ultimately evolve to the
Axumite Federal States by integrating additional willing states in the Horn of Africa.

- Aggressively develop Tigray with the objective of positioning Tigray to be the center
gravity of geopolitical, economic, technological, military and cultural affairs in the
- Build a new pan Africa City, which will be the best green city in Africa, around and
close to Axum that will ultimately be the capital city of Axumite states. This city will
- Continue to build Mekelle to be the best” black African built technology-based
- Liberalize land ownership and allow land private owners (farmers or urban dwellers)
regulation and sales tax collection. The existing land policy has resulted in one
an artificially high lease rate while providing very low compensation to the real
owners of the land, the farmers. It has also encouraged farmers to stay, in their
mechanized and irrigated commercial farming (along the valley of the Tekeze river
industrialization.
- Promote migration of farmers and their families to cities and build big cities
throughout Tigray in each district. Target for 80 % all Tigray citizens to live in cities
- Build corruption free effective and efficient “private sector driven developmental
state economic model”.
- Encourage Tigrayan investors to make their majority of investment in Tigray and to

are waiting for that!
o Free media, respect for individual rights, corruption free and efficient justice
system
groups in Eritrea and provide support with the objective of bringing the TigrayTigrigna
- Establish a foreign policy anchored on a strategic relationship with USA and Israel
including but not limited to Sudan, Africa, Europe, Great Britain, China, Middle East,
Russia, Turkey etc.
- Post war Tigray reconstruction global fund raising/investment attraction campaign
- Tourism potential
done in coordination to Ethiopian Airlines and Saudi Airlines. It is sad that the
(government, religious institutions, tour operators and Ethiopian Airlines). The
- Mining potential
equipment
Mecca.

Axumezana

Axumezana wrote:

(1) Background
of the world.
countries.
inscriptions).
head of cattle ….”.

of its disintegration).
historical site.
theories:
completely agree!
States”?
destiny is tied with it.
vision.

University Lecturer)
Dr. General Teklebirhan)

industrialization.
state economic model”.

are waiting for that!
system
Russia, Turkey etc.
- Tourism potential
- Mining potential
equipment
Mecca.

Axumezana

Axumezana wrote:

(1) Background
of the world.
countries.
inscriptions).
head of cattle ….”.

of its disintegration).
historical site.
theories:
completely agree!
States”?
destiny is tied with it.
vision.

University Lecturer)
Dr. General Teklebirhan)

industrialization.
state economic model”.

are waiting for that!
system
Russia, Turkey etc.
- Tourism potential
- Mining potential
equipment
Mecca.

Axumezana

Axumezana wrote:

(1) Background
of the world.
countries.
inscriptions).
head of cattle ….”.

of its disintegration).
historical site.
theories:
completely agree!
States”?
destiny is tied with it.
vision.

University Lecturer)
Dr. General Teklebirhan)

industrialization.
state economic model”.

are waiting for that!
system
Russia, Turkey etc.
- Tourism potential
- Mining potential
equipment
Mecca.