Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Somaliman
Member+

So Sad

Post by Somaliman » 28 Apr 2024, 21:31

I've travelled throughout 26 countries in Africa so far over a number of years. I'm an extrovert and social person who approaches people and discusses with them. Whichever country I visit, my favourite places are where the very local people live, whether these are in a village, town, or a capital city. I sit, eat, chat, and spend time with people. It even happens to me to depart from a country without having glanced at its touristy places, as what makes me like a country is its people and not its touristy places, however these places may be famous.

Throughout my discussions with thousands of Africans in these countries, I've observed a consistent ONE thing: lack of nationalism.

The only person who told me that they loved their country was a drunken Rwandese businessman in Rwanda, who apologised to me the following day in case he had said something wrong to me the previous night. When I told him that he didn't do or say anything wrong to me to apologise for, he got so happy. But when I went further and asked him whether he still loved his country, he said, "Sorry, I was drunk."

I seems we only love our country when we're outside of it and feel the heat of being in someone else's country, or outside of our mind.

So sad.

Horus
Senior Member+

Re: So Sad

Post by Horus » 28 Apr 2024, 22:21

Somaliman wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 21:31
I've travelled throughout 26 countries in Africa so far over a number of years. I'm an extrovert and social person who approaches people and discusses with them. Whichever country I visit, my favourite places are where the very local people live, whether these are in a village, town, or a capital city. I sit, eat, chat, and spend time with people. It even happens to me to depart from a country without having glanced at its touristy places, as what makes me like a country is its people and not its touristy places, however these places may be famous.

Throughout my discussions with thousands of Africans in these countries, I've observed a consistent ONE thing: lack of nationalism.

The only person who told me that they loved their country was a drunken Rwandese businessman in Rwanda, who apologised to me the following day in case he had said something wrong to me the previous night. When I told him that he didn't do or say anything wrong to me to apologise for, he got so happy. But when I went further and asked him whether he still loved his country, he said, "Sorry, I was drunk."

I seems we only love our country when we're outside of it and feel the heat of being in someone else's country, or outside of our mind.

So sad.
"በእጅ ያለ ወርቅ ተመዳብ ይቆጠራል" ይባል የለ! ደሞም ' አወቁሽ ናቅኩሽ' (Familiarity breeds contempt) ይባል የለ!

kerenite

Post by kerenite » 29 Apr 2024, 14:22

Somaliman wrote:

So sad.
Was fuer Erfahrungen!!!(what for experience) as the Germans would say.

If I talk of myself, let's say if I live in Germany and visit Denmark or the Netherlands or France or Belgium or Switzerland, I have visited nothing they are all the same.

Me, Other than other European countries, I visited Ethiopia, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Kenya and that's it.

But you visited so many countries. Should I call you Sindibad or marco polo? (just laughing) :lol:

I laughed about the Rwandan drunkard what he said, he told the bitter truth about Africa.

Somaliman
Member+

Post by Somaliman » 29 Apr 2024, 17:33

kerenite wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 14:22
Somaliman wrote:

So sad.
Was fuer Erfahrungen!!!(what for experience) as the Germans would say.

If I talk of myself, let's say if I live in Germany and visit Denmark or the Netherlands or France or Belgium or Switzerland, I have visited nothing they are all the same.

Me, Other than other European countries, I visited Ethiopia, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Kenya and that's it.

But you visited so many countries. Should I call you Sindibad or marco polo? (just laughing) :lol:

I laughed about the Rwandan drunkard what he said, he told the bitter truth about Africa.

Ages ago, there were some differences between European countries, but nowadays not really much, if any, to warrant the time and cost of travel. Even in the US, someone who uses English often in their life as you do won't feel that they're in a foreign country.

The south of Spain (Andalusia) is really worth visiting. Most tourists usually go to Barcelona mainly for wild "fun". But in reality, Barcelona is like any metropolitan European city. I've been to all over Spain except the Catalonia, where Barcelona is the capital city.

Countries that I would like to visit before I die are:
Kyrgyzstan
Tajikistan
Turkmenistan
Uzbekistan
Kazakhstan
Azerbaijan
Armenia
Georgia
Eritrea

One country that I don't think I would ever visit is South Africa. Since I spend more time in areas where the very local people live when visiting a country, this won't be possible in South Africa, as these places are often ghettos and the risk for your life is very high.